The Old Countries

Dave in the Old Countries. Including but not limited to France, Spain, Denmark, Germany...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Vin de Pays

Bordeaux is down in the south-west of France, not quite on the coast but on a big river. The hostel there, a big modern empty thing, was a significant change-up from the small, all-action Village in Paris. And the weather, naturally, got hotter again as well.

Most important was the first night's activity - football! Bordeaux playing Toulouse in the South-West derby, and I really hoped I could score a ticket. (For some reason, Ligue 1 hasn't caught up with all-electronic ticketing so you can only buy tickets in the town of the game. Very 20th century.)

I was surprised, though, how easy it was. Bordeaux are a big team, they finished second behind Lyon last season and are playing Champion's League this year. It was the opening game of the new season, a derby, and because Toulouse finished sixteenth last year (just safe from relegation), Bordeaux were seriously expected to win. But I basically wandered up to the stadium an hour or so before the game and paid my twelve euros for a ticket. Simple.

There were 30000 there but the stadium wasn't full; I imagine you could squeeze in almost 40k. My seat was in the cheap section, at the away end near the corner flag, but still with a fair view. It's a nice old ground, flat and pretty, and it was T-shirt weather even at 9pm so the perfect night for a game. The atmosphere was maybe a little lacking, not like in Britain apparently, there was some singing and pretty big cheers when the goals came but in between it was a low simmer. And the goals did come, in the second half, two for Bordeaux as expected. They didn't play especially well, I don't think, but the Toulouse keeper was good and Bordeaux were missing Johan Micoud and Vladimir Smicer, two walk-up starts, so not a bad sign for the club.

So that was one of my goals for the trip achieved, though more games would be great.

Went to the Musée des Beaux Arts with a German guy staying in my room, the usual assemblage of old paintings but very well presented and with a good written commentary (in French) on some of the more important pieces. Some context seriously helps the appreciation. Hung around for some of the time with a couple of humourous Brits, Ed and Steve, who live and teach English in Bilbao. We cooked a damn good meal in the hostel kitchen, tuna, tomato, beans, on rice. Excellent and cheap.

Bordeaux town centre is really nice, big and old and clean, and with a nice modern tram system which really made me feel at home. Another highlight was the great arthouse cinema, the Utopia, where I saw Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story, in VOSTF form which means in English! The cinema, I have to say, had Nova cold, plush seats, ornate trimmings, small cinemas but big screens, and all in a building older than Melbourne. The movie itself was pretty funny, full of English comedy royalty: Steve Coogan, Dylan Moran, David Walliams, Stephen Fry. And Gillian Anderson in a bizarrely small role.

But Bordeaux only got a couple of days, and then closer to the beach, to La Rochelle.

4 Comments:

At 14/8/06 6:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there... do you remember me? Ahh... can still conjure up the ill feeling in my stomach just thinking about you and the last time we talked (must be six or seven years ago now...) I hope everything is going well for you. Really I do! Sounds like you're having a blast in Europe. Drop me an email... my_everest_is_not_in_in_nepal@yahoo.com
Would like to talk to you.

 
At 21/8/06 1:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you dead?

 
At 22/8/06 12:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to see if you reply to blog comments. Don't rush home just for the saints, OK?

XX Dad

 
At 23/8/06 2:08 pm, Blogger Dave said...

I don't really reply to blog comments. Mainly cause I'm dead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home